20 March 2007

Needle + haystack = research

I've had my first major freak-out and (sort of) recovered. Thanks to Kelleigh I think I now (sort of) know how to get started on the research side of things.

When I start getting into it, it's pretty interesting trawling through all these weird and wonderful documents and trying to find something that relates to my topic. But it's far from simple.

What I'm trying to find is documented evidence of teenage girls who 'saw' a face in the mirror that wasn't theirs. I'm sure that somewhere, somehow, there's a written record of this phenomena. Finding it is the tricky bit.

I never experienced it myself. But my friend did. I was with her one night, in her bedroom, when she saw that face. I couldn't see anything in the mirror but I know she did. She was no drama queen. There was no way she was making it up.

But it's not enough that I was in the same room with someone who had that experience. Well, it's more than enough as a basis for a manuscript, but it can't be accepted as 'research'. And to be honest, although I remember the night, I can't remember exact details. Who knows what little embellishments I've added to the memory over the years.

One thing's certain - it's going to be very interesting trying to track the evidence down.

No comments: