9 March 2007

First chapter 'pinks'

Shouldn't it be first chapter blues? You'd think so, but I've just done another rewrite of my first chapter & I'm pretty happy with it. I actually think it's quite good.
Clearly, I am a failure as a tortured artist. Don't get me wrong, I do have my moments of wanting to chuck everything I've ever written in the bin. And stuff that I wrote years ago that I thought was fabulous can now make me cringe.

But you write, you get a bit better; you write some more, you get a bit better again. That's what it's all supposed to be about, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm glad to have on record at this moment that I'm happy with my first chapter because tomorrow I have to sit through a 5 hour workshop on researching. That's bound to strip the happy bugs from my brain.

And for the record, here is the first paragraph of the first chapter that I'm officially (at this moment anyway) happy with.

Tash twisted the small silver mirror in her hand. A flash of light flared on the ceiling. She froze, her eyes wide, then slipped the mirror back into her dresser drawer.

Hmmm, I think I'll just go rewrite it...

No comments: