14 May 2009

At a cross roads

I've just got another rejection for Girl in the Shadows - the second in a couple of weeks. At least this one had some encouraging words to say, but it really has put me in a position where I need to rethink what I'm doing as a writer.

I've been working at a writing career for 10 years now, with only minor success. I worked really hard at Girl in the Shadows; it's the best writing I can do. It's probably good writing, maybe even very good. But the fact is that it's not good enough.

That's a really difficult thing to come to terms with as a writer - the fact that your work is not good enough for publication. I'm feeling pretty raw about it at the moment and right now my feeling is to just give up on the hope of getting a publisher for this manuscript. Maybe I'll try again in 6 or 12 months, or maybe I won't.

I need some time to step back from the whole writing dream. Rethink my goals. And give myself some time to get over it.

2 comments:

amanda said...

Don't give up and never doubt your own ability.

Maree Kimberley said...

Thanks Amanda.