5 May 2007

The scary & wonderful world of peer critiquing

Last night we had our first peer critiquing session in our group. That's where you bravely submit your writing to the scrutiny of others and take on board their feedback. It's a delicate thing, giving people feedback about their writing. But last night was really useful for me.

I was one of two 'guinea pigs' - the rest of the group won't start submitting work for critting until the next session - & we started off by discussing ground rules, such as setting a time limit for each critique.

I think critiquing is going to be one of the most valuable things about doing this degree. I got a lot out of last night's session & although I had quite a few moths battling around in my belly before we got started, once I got everyone's feedback I was really inspired.

When I got home last night I went through everyone's notes again & made some of the suggested changes to my first chapter. I really, really want to go through the rest of the manuscript right now & look for the things they picked up on last night to see if I can fix them in other places in the manuscript. For example I have a tendency to write 'stage directions' (my first drafts are invariably 50% stage directions) & it can be tricky to weed them all out because after a while I don't see them.

But I will be a diligent student & work on my essay this weekend instead. *sigh*

No comments: