2 May 2007

Adolescence is a form of insanity

Not only is adolescence a form of insanity, it's a highly contagious form that is easily transferred to unsuspecting parents.

Okay, I have no scientific proof of the above. But I have found some fascinating research (thanks heaps, Leah!) that is going to work in perfectly with my exegesis.

Peter Brugger, a German scientist, has done heaps of research into phantoms of all kinds. One of his theories is that seeing 'ghosts' is related to the phenomenon of amputees who 'feel' limbs that aren't there.

In the case of people seeing ghosts, it's a case of people seeing a phantom of a full body. That is, a surge of dopamine to their brain is causing them to see something that isn't there. The dopamine surge can be a result of brain damage, but intense emotions can cause the effect as well.

And guess which group regularly experience dramatic surges of dopamine and intense emotions? Adolescents, of course.

This weekend I have to get stuck into my first assignment (due 18 May - thank god this is a long weekend!). I'm going to attempt to bring together threads from Jung's shadow theory, recent studies into adolescent brain development and Brugger's theories on phantoms. With a bit of speculation about whether dopamine makes you see things that aren't there, or enables you to see things that others can't.

With luck, I'll be able to pull something thought provoking together. But if not, I won't stress. It's only a masters after all.



No comments: