19 May 2007

Giving up day

Maybe it's post-handing-in-assignment depression, but I'm having a giving up day. That's one of those days when you realise that your writing is totally crap, you'll never get your manuscript published & if by some absolute miracle you do, then it will languish somewhere in a book warehouse & not see the light of day until it appears slashed to $2 on a discount table somewhere in KMart.

Some days I'm really positive about my writing & feel that success is just around the corner. But today is not one of those days. I don't know why these days come but they feel bloody awful.

The only way I have of overcoming them is to focus on writing for writings sake. That is, instread of worrying about how high on the crap meter my writing is, I just write for myself.

Yes, I'd love to get Girl in the Shadows published. I dream about walking into a bookshop and seeing my book on the shelves (preferably with a 'recommended read' tag attached to it).

But the publishing industry is incredibly tough & I have to accept that, as much as I want that, it cannot be my sole reason for writing. Because it may never happen.
So I just keep writing because I love words & I love the challenge of making those little squiggles on a page turn into living creatures that you can hear talk & laugh & breathe and create places that you can hear, see and smell all inside your head. And no matter how down I feel, I still have the hope that some day they'll come to life in a reader's head, too.

No comments: