16 July 2007

Supervisors' feedback

Sharyn (my main supervisor) and assistant supervisor Viv have both read the latest version of Girl in the Shadows and given feedback.

They were very encouraging and Sharyn feels it's almost there. But she still gave me a list of things to work on before I send it off for manuscript appraisal!

I started on the list this weekend and I think it should only take me a couple more weekends of work to get it ready for the manuscript appraisal. Most of the stuff is pretty minor, but that doesn't mean it's not tricky. Sometimes just trying to find a place to stick a sentence can be a minefield.

I'm really at the stage now where it's just tidying things up. Putting in pieces of information to make it all flow (sometimes I forget to tell the reader stuff I know) and, in some ways, laying those clues that make it all make sense in the end.

There are a couple things on the suggestion list that I'm not going to change, though. Like Tash's diary entries. I realise they're a bit experimental but I think the way she writes them is integral to her character. I don't want to change them unless I'm forced to (eg someone dangles a million dollar contract in front of me...). Even then I reckon I might not change them.

So I'm aiming to have it ready to send to the manuscript appraisal service by the end of this month. that gives me 2 weeks. No worries!

No comments: