31 July 2007

Great workshop & big (for me) breakthrough

Last Saturday (28 July) we had a fantastic workshop with writer Libby Gleeson.

Libby has had a long and distinguished career as a children's writer and her list includes award winning picture books, chapter books and young adult fiction. Her workshop had some great exercises that really helped me to focus on what was and wasn't working in my manuscript. And, as a result of one exercise, I was able to come up with a big breakthrough that will (hopefully) have a positive impact on my story.

I know when it comes to the tough bits in a story, I have a tendency to write around them. Even though it's fiction, it can be really confronting to tell the truth of a story. But Libby encouraged me to do just that.

So now I have the task of rewriting the manuscript from the climax scene (chapter 20) onwards. I've rewrittent the climax scene and posted it for critiquing this week. I'm looking forward to some excellent feedback to help me improve it.

The climax is not pleasant. In fact it's quite violent and scary. I don't know what potential publishers will think about that. But at the moment, that's not my concern. Telling the best story that I can, is.

And the positive thing is, Tash and Mal's friendship not only survives the climax, but becomes better for it. So in the end there will be a happy (ish) ending.

No comments: