1 April 2007

Inspiring writing workshop

One of the main reasons I wanted to do this master's course was so that I could particpate in writing workshops with established childrens/YA writers.

Yesterday we had a full day workshop with Sydney -based writer, Libby Hathorn. It was one of the most inspiring writing workshop I've ever attended.

Libby's style is simple and direct and it's this that allows her passion for writing, both as an author and a reader, to shine through. Her emphasis on the importance of poetry and imbuing our writing with poetic shape, rhythm and flow really struck a chord with me (& I've never been much of a fan of poetry).

I also found out that I can't write in the third person, or that when I do, I find it very strange and uncomfortable. I don't think I used to find it difficult, maybe it's just as my voice has developed over the years it's moved into the 'first person' groove & doesn't want to jump back out.

Maybe one day I'll attempt to write something in the third person, just to challenge myself. But not this year. I've got more than enough writing challenges on my plate.

But thanks to Libby's inspiration yesterday, I feel that I can at least take this year's challenges on. So it's off to my manuscript! And thanks to Libby Hathorn for a fantastic day of indulging in the world of imagination and writing - even if I got nothing else out of this course, yesterday would make it all worthwhile.

No comments: