25 July 2009

Outcomes are so yesterday

The other day I was talking to my daughter about my latest writing project and how I hoped to have it ready to submit soon. In her ultra honest & intuitive way she said, 'Well, don't rush it like you usually do.' The words pinged around in my head firing off all sorts of neuroses. Me? Rush things?? Do I really?

Well, yes. Too often I get caught up in the goal and the outcome instead of the process. No matter how many times I try to remind myself that it's all about the process a part of my brain barges in and says "yes but what's the outcome? what are you achieving??".

But no more! The next time I go on about achieving outcomes and setting goals I'm going to slap myself (& if you're anywhere close by feel free to join in). My next writing project is going to take 10 years. Maybe even 15 years. Quite possibly, I'll never even finish it. And whether I do or not doesn't even matter because it's all about the process.

Sure I'd love to be a successful author, with book sales in the hundreds of thousands and adoring fans poring over my every word. But let's be honest - that's probably never going to happen. And even if it did, would it make me a better writer? No, it wouldn't. Possibly, it would make me a worse writer because then I'd be even more obsessed about achievements and outcomes and book sales and my position on the writers' festival pecking order etc etc etc. I'm not saying every successful author does these things. But I probably would.

So I hereby renounce achievements and outcomes. I'll write every day that I can for as much time as I can. I'll write good sentences and bad sentences and ones in between; make fabulous word choices and ordinary word choices; write brilliant paragraphs and ones that make the reader shrug and say 'meh'. But none of those things will matter because I will be writing.

And in the end, that is all that matters.

3 comments:

Sheldon Page said...

Hello Maree, I drop in on your site every now and then, after I stumbled upon your interesting blog some time ago.

What has happened ? Why are you saying that you'll never be that successful author, "with book sales in the hundreds of thousands and adoring fans poring over my every word."

I bet you can. I'm throwing out the challenge to you Maree.

Do you really believe the you may never finish your next writing project? I hope not.

Let's see where your next journey will take you....

I bet there's an idea, a theme, words, pictures in your mind that are just waiting to be put to paper for a world to read.....

Keep believing....

Maree Kimberley said...

Thanks Sheldon,
I guess what I'm trying to do is focus on the process of writing rather than the outcome. I tend to rush ahead sometimes rather than just meandering along and letting the story take me somewhere new and interesting and I think that really limits my writing sometimes. I just want to see where it takes me for a while.
cheers,
Maree

The Lat Long said...

Hi Maree!

Just found your page. I'm from Brisbane also- studied journalism at UQ and now writing my first YA novel (and blogging about it- www.racetothefinish.blogspot.com)
Love what you've written here, I couldn't agree more! Will check back.

Jess